Do I need a DOT 406 compliant system?

The number one question in our business and the most misunderstood. Some companies do everything they can to sell you a Code 406 system because they are so profitable. But the truth is that very few people actually require a 406 Code system. Here is the truth…..

If you are transporting Diesel or Kerosene, or Jet A fuels you do not need a USDOT 406 Code system. Diesel fuel does not require a Specification Package.

If you are an INDIVIDUAL transporting Gasoline or ANY fuel for Personal Private Use you do not need a DOT406 System. The USDOT does NOT regulate individuals, only commerce or commercial applications. This IS NOT limited to 110 gallons as believed. Under these regulations you can transport any quantity you want.

If you are a business, if you are transporting Gasoline for commerce or commercial reasons, you must use a DOT 406 Code Specific System to do so.

The following entities are exempt from all HazMat regulations with regards to transporting fuels of ALL KINDS. If you are one of these entities the USDOT DOES NOT enforce DOT 406 standards for you.

  • All Federal Government agencies
  • All Municipalities
  • All Indian Reservations
  • Academic Institutions
  • Agricultural applications
  • Private individuals

What differentiates a Code 406 system from a Noncode system?

A Code 406 system is designed to a higher standard. It has a manway on top suitable for interior access and inspection. It has an inversion standard it must meet. If inverted for any reason it cannot leak or loose more then a liter of fuel. The trailer is designed with some collision protection for the tank, rear and sides. There are a few other small things but that is the important stuff.

Do I need a Double Wall fuel system?

No, you do not. Double wall tanks are not required by Federal law. Local laws may vary. Double wall systems do not add any structural integrity to the system. However it does add a lot of weight and expense. In the event the inner tank were to develop a leak the outer wall would serve to contain it. A valuable benefit, but a very seldom occurrence. It would also allow you some protection from external contact to the tank should a piece of equipment strike the tank. We actually sell very few Double Wall tanks but we have them available.

Does my driver need a CDL endorsement on his license?

A Class “C” CDL with HazMat Endorsement is required for use in commerce for all fuels. It is a very simple 20 question test, about $20.00, a license endorsement. One does not have to have a CDL or HazMat Endorsement to transport this system for personal private use.

This is usually a simple inexpensive test and is an endorsement on your license. The test is mostly about understanding “surge”, high gravity issues, and hazmat response and containment.

Young inexperienced drivers should never transport fuels of any kind.

Are fuel trailer tanks UL142 listed?

A tricky situation. Yes, these tanks are built to UL142 standards and they are UL142 listed.

However that standard only applies to static display tanks. Once they become mobile the UL142 listing no longer applies. There is not a UL standard for fuel trailers.

Can I use any tank I want or are trailer tanks special?

Yes, trailer tanks are very special. They have to be heavy duty, they have to tolerate extreme dynamic forces from fuel surge. They should have an interior baffle to help control surge. The end heads need to be very strong and the welds have to be strong and tested. In addition the tanks have to be pressure tested. The base is reinforced to allow for the weight dynamics involved. An ordinary horizontal storage tank is not designed for transport.

logos-customers_navy logos-customers_army logos-customers_coast-guard logos-customers_usaf logos-customers_fbi logos-customers_nasa logos-customers_homeland-security